Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Picture of Dorian Gray review

I read a lot of classics this months...I don't really have a reason for it and I'm not going to write reviews about all of them . Besides this book I also read the Great Gatsby, A Midsummer Night's Dream and I want to read the Scarlet Letter soon.


The "Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde " book review


(I haven't found a proper description for this book neither on the book nor somewhere else, so I wrote it myself)

The book is about Dorian Gray who is a beautiful, wealthy,young man. He is new to London and he is the object of a painter called Basil. While being painted he is introduced to Lord Henry Wotton who is instantly blown away by the beauty of Dorian. They become good friends. But Henry makes Dorian to dread the process of getting older. So Dorian wishes to stay young and beautiful and instead of him a picture that Basil had drawn should age. 
............................................................................................................................................................
I could spank myself that I have never read a book of Oscar Wilde before. He is/ was ;( an amazing, cultivated writer and I could read his books every day. I first thought that it will be a book with real difficult English so I would spend my time looking into a dictionary rather than reading it. But it's so well written that I understood everything. At one point in the book I was a bit bored because of a three page description of the books that Dorian read (which was quite nice but damn....that lad sure reads a lot) The more I read the more I started to hate Sir Henry. He is a very smart man but his theories of life kind of screwed Dorian and made him grow pretty fond of himself...not in a good way. The influence of Henry broke him..which was devastating to witness because as a reader you slowly see it coming...and you hope that it won't come true. Every other chapter I closed the book and prayed that something will change......:(
It's a damn good book and it even made me watch the old and the new film adaption. I like the new version more....the actor is pretty gorgeous ...

5 out of 5 cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment