Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Outsiders book review

Hello my lovelies ...I'm back at it again with the book reviews.......Did you get it? ;)  I have to stop trying. As you may or may not know I read the Mortal Instruments in the last two weeks. And as you may or may not know I always have a massive book hangover when I'm done with reading the series. So I thought: Maybe a short book of 93 pages will help me to mend my broken-heart. In the following review you will see why that did not work.


The "Outsiders" book review by S.E. Hinton


According to Ponyboy, there are two kinds of people in the world: greasers and socs. A soc (short for "social") has money, can get away with just about anything, and has an attitude longer than a limousine. A greaser, on the other hand, always lives on the outside and needs to watch his back. Ponyboy is a greaser, and he's always been proud of it, even willing to rumble against a gang of socs for the sake of his fellow greasers--until one terrible night when his friend Johnny kills a soc. The murder gets under Ponyboy's skin, causing his bifurcated world to crumble and teaching him that pain feels the same whether a soc or a greaser. 
................................................................................................................
This book took my heart and threw it against a wall. That's what it felt like reading it. So let's start at the beginning: I never actually knew that this book existed( don't kill me). About a month ago I read the Starcrossed- duology by Leisa Rayven( I have reviews of the books) And in the story the main characters both have this favourite book: The Outsiders. So I thought that if they bind over this book, that it is a nice story to read. So I went to the library and I got that book. The second I came home, I started reading. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour to read it. So it was a quick read. And you normally think that a quick and short read, can't touch you (ok unless it was written by Shakespeare...he knows how to crush my soul). But this book was so deep and so touching. The main characters have pretty weird names. But I think I wouldn't have felt a connection with them if they had ordinary names. I loved the main character Ponyboy so much. It seemed like an old soul lived in the body of this boy. Also Ponyboy isn't an ordinary boy. He has suffered a tragic loss, but he still enjoys life. He loves reading <3 and he loves the greasers, which is a "gang" he is part of. When I read the book I kind of thought it was a bit similar to West Side Story and it even had elements of Romeo and Juliet in it but it of course was unique to read. I'm not going to spoil this book if you haven't read it by now, but there are so unexpected twists in it and you will learn what it means to be part of a group that is also your family and protects you of no matter what. There will be unexpected tragedies, friendship, love, moments of sorrow and moments of happiness and rivalry. This small book has a world hidden in its few pages that you don't want to leave.


5 out of 5 cupcakes and an award for the deepest, shortest book I have ever read

No comments:

Post a Comment